Skip to main content

The Christian's Aim: To Do the Will of God



Not my will, but your will be done. -Luke 22:42b

I have made it my current life's mission to loathe the fact that my career has become a lackluster depiction of shoulda, coulda, wouldas.  I have complained about it to co-workers and even graced you all with a few words of how my path of obtaining a degree was a futile exercise in keeping up with the masses.  To be honest with you, I have grown tired of hearing myself complain and whine about it.  Frankly, I need rest and solace from these thoughts.

If you are as perceptive as I am, you have probably realized the title of this article has something to do with the will of God.  You might be thinking, "where exactly does all this complaining fit in to the will of God.?" Great question!  The answer is simple.  It does not.  The complaining is obviously due to the fact that I am apparently dissatisfied with whatever the will of God might be in this area of my life.  1 Thessalonians 5:16 - 18 clearly (like crystal clearly) states, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the WILL OF GOD in Christ Jesus for you."  Right there in big bold clear New King James letters.  The will of God.....for me (for all Christians actually).  Be joyful.  Always pray.  Give thanks in EVERYTHING.  I am quite sure this includes the current state of my career.

See, God has this uncanny ability to know things we don't know.  (Go figure, right? sarcastically stated)  I mean, we map out our lives and goals to a T; all without consulting God about it first, and have the nerve to be upset when those plans don't pan out....(many are the plan's in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails - Proverbs 19:21).  Ah now, we don't like to hear that do we?  We can plan, that is all fine and good, but any plan apart from God's will (His desire overall and for you) won't amount to anything.....it is vanity.  If we are honest with ourselves, we try to strong arm God (you decreeing and declaring) into accepting our will over His and like to throw up the 'He will give me the desires of my heart' scripture in the mix (but conveniently forget about the delighting ourselves in Him part).  GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT!  The Lord doesn't owe you anything and isn't obligated to anything but His word.

Now this isn't a proven fact, but I believe God, in His mercy, frustrates the plans believers have apart from Him on purpose.  Kind of like a protective measure hidden from us.  For instance, my three year old is brand new this world.  She thinks she knows everything and sincerely believes that is she climbs on the back of our couch and jumps off that she won't eventually fall and bust her head.  She has purposed in her heart that this is what she is going to do and she works tirelessly to climb so she can jump (my child is a daredevil for sure).  Just as she is about to go shoring in the air like Gabby Douglas on the uneven bars, mommy walks in and ruins all the fun.  Usually she throws a fit, but I am satisfied with knowing my child's head will remain in tact for one more day.  And yes, I am comparing us to three year olds, because it is fitting to how we trip out with God on some of the most nonsensical; non earth shattering mumbo jumbo down here.

So here is my declaration (and you can hold me to it):  I will no longer place my career aspirations on a pedestal.  I will make them subject to the will of God, which is far greater, more crucial and expedient.  I will not worry or complain (this is a bold declaration for me) about what I think I should have, where I think I should be and where I am not.  If I claim to serve God, I will believe His word and seek His will instead of mine.  I am resolving to find out what God desires for me, not in just this area of my life, but in every area.

That's all I got for ya'll today....

Signing off.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drifting Away from My Core

I will make an honest confession.  I care what people think about me.  Sometimes to my own detriment.  I encountered a  situation today that left me somewhat emotional.  While I attempted to fight back tears, I had to ask myself why I felt so hurt.  When I came to the realization of the origins of those feelings, I let the tears go and cried. I cried, not because of what the person said to me, but I cried due to the realization that I still greatly care about what people think of me and how they view me.  I was heartbroken that this person I have known and loved for years would utter comments towards me that were not in the affirmative because of a difference in opinion, and I was hurt.  My reaction caught me off guard. I'd done so well pretending not to care how I was perceived by certain groups or individuals and talked big talk like I was ready to let things run off my back like water.  I thought I had shaken the feelings of needing to be liked and accepted by others because

Because Vanity is Popular: The Rise of Heather Lindsey

There is a prominent female figure currently on the horizon that has all of the girlies holding their breathe until she breathes her next word.  Her face, her posts, her image and her voice are slathered from thither and yonder on social media.  You never have to wonder what's going on in her life nor in her household.  It is all tracked and recorded via the world wide web.  I've listened to some of her teachings and agree with most of what she says.  While she does not verbally communicate anything that seems detrimental, it is what is not said being (yet seen) that is the most disappointing factor. I first became aware of this young lady and her husband a couple of years ago when another young lady posted on my Facebook page that my husband and I reminded her of them.  I presumed she was referring to the fact that we were married and shared a passion for the Lord.  Being the kind of person I tend to be, I looked them up in hopes of expanding our circle of nationwid

Ministry for the Sake of Whom?

I was having a conversation with my husband yesterday about what the Lord would have us to do, specifically, as co-laborers with Him.  We began discussing how many Christians become concerned with their calling or God-given assignment pretty early on in their walk with the Lord.  Most churches make it their duty to help believers assess their spiritual giftings in an effort to guide them in discovering their purpose  or calling in this earth.  I began to comment about how this model leaves us more concerned with the personal call of ministry ABOVE the end of all ministry.  There is a preoccupation with trying to discover our specific calling or assignment(s) for the Lord while leaving the very reason for the service at a far second.  In previous ministries we were involved in, there was such an emphasis placed on finding your gifts and calls so you could be "used by the Lord" that it would leave one feeling inadequate and unusable if they do not specifically know their g